It is highly desired to improve the photocatalytic performance for remedying environmental substances, mainly involved with pollutant degradation and CO2 conversion. Three strategies have been successfully developed for improved photocatalysis as follows. Firstly, the surface modification with inorganic acids, like phosphoric acid, could promote O2 adsorption so as to improve the photocatalytic activity for degrading pollutants. Secondly, the surface polarization by modifying negative anions, like Cl-, could trap positive holes so as to improve the photocatalytic activity for CO2 conversion to fuels. Lastly, the proper-level-energy platform by coupling wide-bandgap nano-oxides, like TiO2, could accept the excited proper-level-energy electrons from the narrow-bandgap nano-oxides, like BiVO4 and g-C3N4, so as to prolong the carrier lifetime and thereby improve the visible-light photocatalytic activities for pollutant degradation and CO2 conversion. Meanwhile, the mechanism insights have been explored in details. These works would provide feasible routes to improve the photocatalysis for efficiently remedying environmental substances. References are listed as follows:
1. L. Q. Jing*, J. Zhou, J. R. Durrant, et al., Energy Environ. Sci., 2012, 5, 6552-6558.
2. L. Q. Jing, W. Zhou, G. H. Tian, H. G. Fu*, Chem. Soc. Rev., 2013, 42, 9509-9523.
3. L. M. He, L. Q. Jing*, Y. B. Luan, et al., ACS Catal., 2014, 4, 990-996.
4. Z. J. Li, Y. B. Luan, L. Q. Jing*, et al., ACS Appl. Mater. Interface 2015, 7, 22727-227.
5. J. Wu, H. Lu, L. Q. Jing*, et al, Chem. Commun., 2016, 52, 5027-5029.
6. A. Zada, M. Humayun, L. Q. Jing*, et al., Adv. Energy Mater., 2016, 4, 1601190 (1-9).
7. M. Humayun, Y. Qu, L. Q. Jing*, et al., Environ. Sci. Tech., 2016, 50, 13600-13610.
8. F. Raziq, Y. Qu, L. Q. Jing*, et al., Appl. Catal. B 2017, 201, 486-494.
9. Z. J. Li, P. Luan, L. Q. Jing*, et al., Nano Res. 2017, available online.
10. N. Sun, Y. Qu*, L. Q. Jing*, et al., Environ. Sci: Nano 2017, 4, 1147–1154.
11. F. Raziq, Y. Qu, L. Q. Jing*, et al., Adv. Energy Mater., 2017, 4, 1701580 (1-10).
12. J. S. Wang, C. L. Qin, L. Q. Jing*, et al., Appl. Catal. B 2018, 221, 459-466.
Acknowledgements: This work was financially supported from the key NSFC (U1401245, 91622119), the National Key Basic Research Program of China (2014CB660814), the Program for Innovative Research Team in Chinese Universities (IRT1237).